Friday, February 1, 2013

Shameless Plug

So you'll notice I took a not-so-brief powder (again) on the blogging.  I wish I could say it was because I won the Lotto Max and I've been living off the grid in Thailand for the last few months but that would be a slight exaggeration.  Instead, picture this idyllic scene: get up, realize you're still in Banjoville, groan, schlep to work, die a little inside, leave work, pick up child, rush through nightime routine, put child to bed, fall into couch coma, sleep 2 hours too little, wake to cat hacking up a hairball on your duvet, realize you didn't write the pages you had promised yourself the day before, rinse and repeat.  Le sigh. 

I'll talk about my blogging absence in a future post but today I'm writing to plug my bestie since grade 4, Janet Cameron.  The other day, Janet tweeted to ask if I would mind doing a short guest post for her website's countdown to the March publication of her book, Cinnamon Toast and the End of the World. Instead of the ohsoboring "buy my book" kind of tweets so many aspiring writers spam me with to flog the fruits of their creative labours, once a day she's blogged about a song that her protagonist, Stephen, might have listened to as he struggled with teenage ennui, life in a small town and an intimidating emotional bombshell.  (For those of you too lazy to click on the link I've thoughtfully included above, the book takes place in 1987 so she's been blogging about 80's music.)

I'm a child of the 80's so when Janet came a'knockin' I was a bit overwhelmed by the choice. Should I pick something ironic? Should I critique the craptabulous? Should I bare my soul and reveal that (at times) I earnestly listened to the schlock, drek, and drivel that made up 95% of the 80's music scene? Tempting, but no. Instead, I chose a song that I've been obsessed with since 1986 because the music is insanely haunting and the words accurately described my seemingly endless adolescent experience of alienation and loneliness. Good times.  

Here's the rub: the lazy amongst you will now have to bestir yourselves to click on yet another link below to read what I wrote.   It's all part of the evil plan, people.

1 comment: